Originally Posted by Bry
I've been lurking here awhile but this thread pulled me into the muck.

Another NY'er who also still hunts with a loaded chamber. Thing is I don't take snap shots at running deer like I'm grouse hunting. Most times the deer gets caught flat footed staring back at you trying to see what's up or else it gives itself away moving when I'm stationary. It's about covering ground thoroughly not quickly. But you can bet when I head west I'll be following directions from my guide.
I can tell you that the majority of self induced hunting incidents here from a hot chamber are caused by fools climbing in or out of treestands.

To the op;; Only once in 34 years have I had a bolt open on me, and that was walking down the old tractor path headed back to the house. 80's vintage Rem 700. Felt it happen and lost one cartridge in the snow, which I found a couple days later when it warmed up. I can understand the risks of losing a bolt but it's probably a wash compared to unloading with the safety off. I always open the bolt then dump the floorplate. With an ADL style I would just run the bolt enough to pop the round up, much like when I unload my pump shotgun. I prefer the simplicity of a two position safety, just because it's what I'm used to.

Welcome to the muck Bry.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I could cite a bunch of others, including a group of hunters from Minnesota trying to perform pronghorn drives on the sagebrush prairie--which failed miserably.

This spawned an image of Fudds trying to herd cats in my mind. Thanks for the chuckle.