Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yeah, it's hard for eastern hunters to grasp hunting in the West--just as it's hard for western hunters to grasp hunting in the East.

But it seems when they consider coming here they are the ones who think because they do it the way they do, we are wrong. At least on here, if that means anything.

** (ref. Western hunters/wannaB writers)** --NO reference to JB at all!!!

I joined the 'fire' in 2010 and I encountered the same attitude "on here".

I have a close, long time friend and have gone hunting W/him many Xs.
I've told him -- You are the guide, To which he replied, No way. 1 year we couldn't find the deer moving any where any time. I went stalking/scouting and found the deer were coming out EARLY, LATE, & at night so very CLOSE to their thickets. I marked a few places and showed him. Later we both killed reasonable bucks.

I agree w/ MD that whitetail are whitetail wherever they are. ATST I've found that deer LEARN the activities, smells, & sounds of their particular area and respond accordingly.

When my younger son was beginning to deer hunt, I took him and we found a small area that NO ONE had hunted in a long time. I showed him how to get in and where to SIT (on the ground with his back to a tree) in a fairly close situation. Before 8: AM I heard his MZL go off.
He killed his second deer & FIRST deer w/a mzld.

Later I went back and looked close and found a small oak sapling with a SKINT place on it about knee high. I looked closer and found his Buffalo Bullet AFTER it went thru the deer and hit the sapling. The mushroomed bullet was laying on the ground at the base of the tree.
That's one of his and my FAV hunting stories.

The point in that is 'sometimes' when you do what the deer are NOT expecting---- they are surprised.

Just because something NORMALLY works wherever you hunt--- that's NOT the only way to hunt. East or West.

Jerry

ps: keep your Bolt Locked Down on Safe with a muzzleloader. GRIN

Last edited by jwall; 07/13/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!