Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by 65BR

Loading 140s at 2960 in a 7/08, never felt a need for pushing a 7mm faster.

How are you doing that?

In MY rifles, 700s (BDL-SS and V) I was using RP cases, FIRE FORMED TO MY RIFLES, 45/Varget. IIRC it was about 1 grain over the original loads in the some older manuals. I would suggest anyone load per current manuals, and work up their own loads. Note, WW brass is about 1.5 gr more, and better IMHO so I would not suggest RP if you want the best in performance. Also, I was testing in summer temps of around 95 degrees. Never had any problems. Also, I used IMR 4064 which was a tad more accurate.

I was also using 139s as I used both the FB version and 140 BTs often. Both nearly one hole 5-shot groups (BT was a hair more accurate than 139) in the Varmint chopped at 21" as the BDL/SS, and in an HS Stock. The 139 SP IL was the original loading by Rem in their "140 CL" load over 760. I do know the 129 in 6.5 often gives speed like a 120, it seems they have a short per weight bearing surface....

In another rifle at that time, my 7/08 M70 carbine - syn/matte 20" ran 2850 using Varget and 139s. Don't recall speeds in my 22" FWT but it also shot well.

That said, I would imagine a load of a few less grains would give all the performance one needs with less strain on brass/gun. I feel 2800 is a good target speed in most common barrels (22-24").

So, in a nutshell, 1) consult a manual 2) work your loads up, in your firearm, and a Chrony is a great way to work up your loads 3) brass brand/Capacity matters, as does if you FL size or partial size as I typically do 3) primer choice can tweak performance 4) Temperature affects performance, 5) individual firearms vary due to chamber and bore variations. Many here know these things, but....

Since I did my R&D, newer powders have come along, likely matching or perhaps besting the Varget and IMR 4064 I used extensively. H4350, MR2000, and RL17 have been used successfully with 140s, RL15, CFE223, and others for 120s. In 120s I used 47/Varget, 3050-3100 was typical. 100s ironically with the same load shot 1/4MOA at 200 yds using the 700V, yes 100 Hornady HPs, same RP brass. 3 shot groups btw....and that was when the rifle was in a VLS stock, unbedded but the pressure point removed.

As always, work up loads in your firearms.