I've been shopping for a new lightweight hunting rifle, as I realized that I have been too much into the "tactical" side of firearms lately and wanted to get back into the woods. Although I haven't made my decision (what an embarrassment of wealth we have to choose from in 2018) I kept having searches lead me here. I appreciate this community for helping to guide me even before I was a member. Thanks for having me!

Just cause I feel like the post needs it, I'm currently stuck between options. My original goal was a scoped rifle coming in at around 6-7# in a caliber that is capable of taking all/most game in NA (outside of the big bears) with factory ammunition that is common and readily available, out to around 300 yards or so. Kind a modern interpretation of the Scout Rifle, but without the forward mounted scope and integral mag storage, etc. I landed on .308, which seems to most closely fit the bill while also allowing for short actions (in the cases where they are scaled) and performing well out of shorter barrels. Planning on the SWFA SS Ultralight 2.5-10x32 as the optic, but not settled on that either. I originally planned for less than $1500 for the whole kit and caboodle, but honestly don't care as I am willing to save indefinitely.

I'm currently between:

- Steyr Scout. It is just so stinking cool and so interesting, while maintaining an excellent reputation for quality and accuracy. Not a huge aftermarket and it's a bit heavy, these days.

- Steyr Prohunter. I like it, but it is probably too heavy to be in true contention and it is a bear to find in the shorter barrel 308s.

- Savage 110 Lightweight Storm. Price/availability and reputation for accuracy/dependability are all really intriguing. None if the actions of the examples that I have handled have been as bad as I was lead to believe, also.

- Tikka T3x. Nice rifles that just never quite feel "right" in my hand and the "one action fits all" bugs me, though I know it shouldn't. Again, excellent reputation.

- Kimber Hunter (maybe Montana?). Would be an easy winner if they had a better reputation for CS. That's a big deal for me, but I like the American made side, and they point and handle well in my hands.

-Barrett Fieldcraft. I'm a vet that lit his early/mid 20s on fire, so this would require more planning and saving (as well as buying sight unseen because no one near me handles these) but I am fascinated by the rifle. Beautiful, clean, simple, light, and made in the USA by a company that is well respected.

- Henry Long Ranger. It's just cool, but probably not a legitimate option here.

I'm a bit of a fanatic about F&F (custom knives are a big hobby of mine and it is a big deal in that world) and all of these rifles, when handled, have let me down in one way or another other than the higher end Kimber. Action "smoothness" doesn't interest me either, but being proud of the things that I own does. Henry, Tikka, and Barrett all represent (to me) the highest 'pride of ownership' but all also have drawbacks.

Sorry for the ramble. Day off and bored.

Feel free to chime in with opinions or (gulp) give me more options.

-Mike

Last edited by fubijar03; 09/25/18.

“To be is to do" - Socrates

"To do is to be" - Sartre

"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

KV