Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by fubijar03
I can't speak to availability elsewhere, but 7-08 is extremely uncommon around my way and in the areas where I hunt. I HATE having to look for ammo, and being forced to order online is frustrating as well. I do love the round, but 6.5 CM and .308 just have to many benefits for me personally.

MIke

The 308 is fine but you are putting way too much importance on having to use whatever ammo is locally stocked. Chances are you will want to shoot a different factory load than what is local anyway. Yea,you can shoot any cheap inaccurate ammo of that caliber,but it goes against your philosophy. It would be like buying a certain custom knife because it would fit in a plastic sheath your local gas station carried.

With all due respect, I wasn't asking for shooting/ammo buying advice as I have been doing it for a very long time. I am fine with shooting a lot of cheap ammo to familiarize myself with my rifle, and also just because I enjoy shooting. I never cared much for groups, and don't even own bags or a sled or any thing of that sort. I want something that I can buy quality hunting ammo for at the shop down the road and buy cheap ammo when I decide I just wanna take it to my parents and sling some rounds. I have checked a few shops since starting this thread and it turns out that the 6.5 Creed is more available than I thought, but 7-08 is not, and is thus a non option. I don't carry my customs everyday, because I can see the benefit in using cheaper tools for certain jobs. I don't need a custom knife to rip up a carpet, so I bring a cheaper razor knife smile Local ammo will suit me for 99% of my hunts, and if it doesn't than the shop catering to the hunters in the area has some explaining to do, or I will make due. My dad is 78 and has killed more deer than I've seen and I doubt he even really knows that there are different kinds of ammo. He buys the cheapest ammo for his 270 (used to be a 243) that has an animal on the box or says "core lokt" on it and puts meat in the freezer with it. I don't do things that way, but I also don't get too hung up on various ammos. I just want quiet pills down the road, lol, ya'll wild.

Mike

Last edited by fubijar03; 09/26/18.

“To be is to do" - Socrates

"To do is to be" - Sartre

"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

KV