Originally Posted by fubijar03
I'm a bit of a fanatic about F&F (custom knives are a big hobby of mine and it is a big deal in that world) and all of these rifles, when handled, have let me down in one way or another other than the higher end Kimber. Action "smoothness" doesn't interest me either, but being proud of the things that I own does. Henry, Tikka, and Barrett all represent (to me) the highest 'pride of ownership' but all also have drawbacks.

A Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in 308 with a 4x Leupold would be a bit heavy but would otherwise meet your stated specs.

As for fit and finish, what's acceptable in the rifle world and the custom knife world are radically different. The rifles you listed are among the better factory offerings, but you're looking at the wrong part of them: action smoothness is far more important than external fit and finish in a rifle you'll actually use in the real world. (The knife world equivalent would be a dull blade on a knife with perfect fit and finish.) Getting any significant improvement over the rifles you listed will mean going to a custom maker for at least triple your budget.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.