Originally Posted by fubijar03
I've been shopping for a new lightweight hunting rifle ...

... My original goal was a scoped rifle coming in at around 6-7# in a caliber that is capable of taking all/most game in NA (outside of the big bears) with factory ammunition that is common and readily available, out to around 300 yards or so. Kind a modern interpretation of the Scout Rifle, but without the forward mounted scope and integral mag storage, etc. I landed on .308, which seems to most closely fit the bill while also allowing for short actions (in the cases where they are scaled) and performing well out of shorter barrels. Planning on the SWFA SS Ultralight 2.5-10x32 as the optic, but not settled on that either. I originally planned for less than $1500 for the whole kit and caboodle, but honestly don't care as I am willing to save indefinitely.

When I was looking for something similar, with the additional caveat that I wanted iron sights, I went with the Ruger Scout in .308 Win. It came in a laminate stock, which I replaced with a Ruger synthetic, which knocked the weight down to 6.25 pounds. The factory flash hider was replace with a $30 brake. My hunting buddy, who has had shoulder surgery for diabetes related problems, states it "has no recoil". No true, but it is mild. The 6.5 CM Scout would be even milder.

Mine got a Vortex Scout scope in Warne QD rings so I can shoot the irons or glass at will. Had a Burris 3-9x in the standard Ruger rings for load development. A lightweight 4x scope would be a great option for a rear mounted scope.

One other thing I did was to purchase Ruger 3- and 5-round synthetic mags. They are quieter and handier than the factory 10-rounder. The 3-round sits almost flush with the stock and is the only one I've used since I got it.

Like it a lot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.