Originally Posted by fubijar03
As to the Winchester, I have always wanted to scratch that “pre 64” itch. Although this would be a very different direction, it is interesting. I’ll do some looking around and see how much damage one would do compared to these guys with regards to my wallet. The nice thing about an SS rifle with a crummy stock is I wouldn’t be afraid to use it, where the Winchester would be a different story.

I grew up on pre-64 Model 70's and as much as it pains me to say it, a new Winchester is probably a better rifle. The new ones are also available with short actions while the pre-64s are all 30-06 length, which is problematic if you want a lightweight rifle. You could probably find a shooter-grade pre-64 for $800, which is only a bit more than what you'd pay for a new one. Sell the stock and recoup $100, then drop it into a used McMillan for $600, add a Leupold 3-9 in Weaver bases and rings for $500, and go slay stuff.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.