Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Hornady volume 11 lists a max of 53.8 grains using 4831 with the 120 grain bullet. Interesting is it not?

Yes, that is interesting. My Speer number 13 manual lists a maximum charge of 50.0 grains of IMR 4831 with their 120 grain bullets. This just further proves that the maximum loads in the reloading manuals are a guide, not an absolute. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT suggesting the data in the manuals are wrong or wimpy, just that results can vary between rifles and the people loading the ammo. I could show you several instances where maximum loads listed in reputable manuals are actually too hot (over maximum) in my guns. By the same token, some listed maximum loads are under maximum in some of my guns. Handloaders must NOT take published loading data so literally that they neglect to take proper precautions and learn how to recognize and interpret pressure signs. ALWAYS start 5-10 percent below the listed maximum.

But then, you already knew that, AussieGunWriter, so I'm preaching to the choir again. I did it on purpose though so folks don't get wrong ideas about published data. You understand. In fact, from reading your posts on this forum, it is obvious that you understand a great deal. I enjoy reading what you share. Thank you.

Post edited to add the following:

AussieGunWriter, the maximum load you mentioned in Hornady volume 11 - was it with H4831 powder or IMR 4831? As you know, those two powders are NOT the same. The heavier load you mention would seem more logical with H4831 because it is slightly slower burning than IMR 4831. The maximum loads that I posted were with IMR 4831. Please recheck your reference and post the answer lest we lead anyone astray. Thank you.

_

Last edited by Big_Redhead; 03/22/07.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.