A few notes on what has been written already:

Big Redhead, the only Remington Core-Lokts that stil have the heavy jacket sidewalls of the original Core-Lokt are the round-nose models, such as the 180 RN used in Sciuchetti's test. All the rest have much thinner jackets, due to a manuafcturing (cheaper) change made in the late 1980's. This does not mean the 120-grain .25-06 CL factory load is a bad one (I have killed a bunch of deer with it to nearly 400 yards) but that we cannot extrapolate S.'s test to any pointed CL.

I have had excellent luck getting heavier .25-caliber bullets to shoot tiny groups in anything from a long-barreled (23"+) .257 Roberts n up. Below that velocity lever (say 2900 with 120's) and 100's do tend to shoot better in any .25. I would, however, get a 1-9 on a .250 Savage if I wanted to shoot heavier spitzers.

After using just about all the common .25's for deer for a long time, I have also come to the conclusion that 100-grain bullets will do it all, something I would not have said a few years ago. One thing rarely mentioned about the 100 Ballistic Tip (or indeed any lighter BT) is that the lighter weight means a higher jacket/core weight relationship. In other words, there is relatively more jacket than core thasn in the 115 .25 BT, which means a higher percentage of weight retention and, in general, a smaller diamter mushroom.

I also have had excellent luck with the 100 Nosler Partition and 100 Barnes Triple Shock. When driven at typical .25-06 velocities (or anything from handloaded .257 Bob velocities to .257 Wby. velocities, say 3200-3600 fps) all will do just fine on big deer.

John Barsness

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck