I’m going howa or vanguard in either clambering in whichever configuration offered the shortest barrel on either one. Weaver scope with mildot reticle (.25mildots) in Talley lightweights. Hornady precision hunter and enough of it to get dope to 600 and I’d go hunt. Mildot reticle because of its familiarly to my eyes, user friendliness in low light, my ability to range targets with it, and either cartridge will get to 600 using milholds from the reticle, I’m guessing either/ both would be in the 4.2-4.6 mils low at 600 ballpark, Additionally It’s Pretty/very easy to range targets in the mountains with a gps map and compass and since those weren’t excluded from the packing list...

A lot You guys with your milquads etc are all hot and bothered about matching turrets, which is great, and how easy they are to zero, which is great. But the ability to range a target is truly where it’s at. Having that protractor/ ruler that allows you to measure angles is so much more than just holds, or corrections. If holds and corrections were all we concerned with- moa reticle and turrets is fine, the disadvantage with moa is that while it’s an angle measurement just as mils is and as such can be used to measure distance as well- because it’s not metric and all based on tenths, it’s very much more difficult for a brain dead like me to use...

The easiest most straightforward explanation I can give and hopefully someone more eloquent (I’m a demonstrator not an orator) can pick this up and tunnwith it.

Understanding that 1 mil subtends a meter @ 1000m or 1km, we can observe through our scope how many mils and fractions of mils a target of known dimensions subtends- and thereby establish a distance to it. So if your 1 meter target looks like a mil when it’s 1k away, if it’s twice that size it’s half that far. If it’s 3times that size it’s 1/3 as far. If it’s 4 times that size it’s a quarter of the way there.

It goes like this. Stalking through the timber I notice that the branches on the spruce up to about my waste are dead with no tips. Just sticks about 18” long justting our from the stem. Huh. I tire of the walk find a good place to sit and glass as the day begins to fade. I whip out my gps, map, and compass. With my map, I establish that the near side of the park I am glassing is about 400meters away, and that the far side is about 600. I spot a bull tucked up in the tree line and anticipate where he is likely to emerge. (We are going with the simplest math possible now for the sake of being straightforward)

I get in the prone- take up a prone e supported position on my ruck- locate the bull, breath a little and then- needing to refine my range to the bull I measure the hiefth of the dead spruce limbs (preestablished @1meter by environmental observation) and find that the live limbs start 2 mils up the tree. The bull is 500meters out and I’m holding on the 3rd mildot, good night Irene.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/22/18.