Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Knowing how to use a reticle to range, and that range being even remotely close enough to be consistent enough past 300’ish meters- are two completely separate things.

Milling live targets that vary in size, presentation, and angle is nowhere near milling an E-Type. Just as with humans, the range practice of known, unchanging target size gives vastly unrealistic expectations of ability in the field on real targets, that are an unknown size, and aren’t facing perpendicular.

I’ve had instructors from every single military sniper school/course and national level competitors and not one has been able to consistently mil deer, is the elk, antelope, etc. accurately enough past 350-400 yards to be within 25 meters consistently. Not one.

I feel no need to challenge your assertions. I’d say that what you describe amongst competitor and instructors the case. There’s isn’t any sport that capitalized on the ability to effectively mil a distance. Instructors are focused on the specific skill sets that they t each and frequently display an overall lack of proficiency in areas other than there own subject matter- specifically that which they are responsible for teaching.

I will throw this out as well- assuming we misjudge our range by 50 yards at 600, leaving he realm of theory, I’ll talk about what load I know- my 7-08 is 3.6 low at 550 vs 4.2 at 600 a difference at that range of 18” or so that’s spine or bottom of lungs in an elk. At 400 yard and assuming only 25 error we have about 6” of possible error- not a big deal.

If you note in my actual example that I pitched I miled the range based on an environmental factor that was easily predetermined rahhree than the actual bull- again, this is real [bleep] but your proficiency at the task will mirror the effort put into training.