Originally Posted by 175rltw
Given the constraints of the OP, which I understand have been relaxed, it seemed relevant that there are several ways to establish a range to a target, even when the cold has temporarily rendered your rangefinder useless, or the battery died, or you lost/forgot/broke it, or a guy says “no LRF in his op”

I bet my life the methods I have mentioned work to the degree with which they are accuralty applied by the practitioner. The same as an LRF will. But it’s not a big deal, I bring an LRF when I hunt. And in 30 years of hunting I haven’t shot any animals past 315 and only did that this year. I didn’t used to like to apply these techniques when I was hunting anaimals because it would really get some hate boiling in me which I didn’t like in the context. Now however I just enjoy excercising my brain by working to apply and thereby retain pretty much any information I have left in there as it’s going quickly otherwise.

Edit: this post reads like I’m housebound old guy or something.
Probably my best campfire post to date.

So you've never actually used the techniques/methods you're advocating for taking game?

Likewise you don't know what a pocket is or how to use one?

David