Form- no contest but this is measuring- for serious. Now listen If those deer changed size like that while I was trying to shoot it would be tough- or If i had to look at them in September but range them in December. That’d be a trick. But whatever size they are is irrelevant when we are working of environmental factors that give us a little better control. Yes we are Still dealing with range estimation- but at some point your margin for error drops below that threshold where it becomes smaller than the kill zone.

The point I make about picking something environment that is widespread and consistent rather than an animal that a livestock judge might not know what to make of- ie browslines, how high the spruce decline starts, how high the hawthorn,devils club,bitterbrush,sagebrush etc are- and using those as your references is all about reducing that margin of error- which you know and don’t need me to do xplain but are making me anyway. At 600yards a 30 yard error on your range call will still be within 8-10” of your poa with almost anything. Which you know.

I know your not guessing about guys abilities to range live deer cold on the spot with a mil reticle- but those same fellas- and you, and me, can all range effectively in an environment that offers more objects of known size ie vehicles. Trained task.

For everyone else who has mil reticle and LRF you can mess with rhis anytime your out. Hey
It’s easy to practice and verify your results with your rangefinder. A lot of times there’s not much else to do while your out. If guys can go cold on live deer and come up with only a 5-10 percent error, imagine how well they would do after 2
Weeks practicing. Happy Thanksgiving Boudreaux.

If anyone is worried that familiarity born of practice with the technique will make you a less effective hunter- I say avoid it.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/22/18.