MD,

I cannot speak to the Leupold Yosemite as I have not tried them. I work for a large oil company. One of our duties is wildlife monitoring and intervention so my guys spend hours a day with their binoculars on the north slope of Alaska. Earlier in the project, about four years ago, one of the company bosses bought us several of the Leupold Rogues. Honestly they were awful. We all complained of eyestrain and headaches after not very much use and several guys brought their own glass for their rotations since it didn't seem like the company wanted to spend money on good glass.

Management changes on a regular basis in the oilfields and this summer one of the new bosses went out with one of my guys to check out a vast herd of caribou moving through the area. He needed to see if their line of travel looked like it would require them to reschedule work in that area. After five minutes with the Rogues, he exclaimed "these are awful! They don't focus together and they make my eyes feel like their getting sucked out of my head." My guy told him, "welcome to our world." That afternoon we had received authorization for, and ordered, three Vortex Viper HD's. The guys love them and no longer complain about eye strain and headaches, but they were way more than $80.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.