Good article, down to earth as usual. As expected, it riled a few snoots into a bit of a lather. Liked that, too.

Now in my 70s, I've always been a cheap skate and haven't leaned towards spending more money, if something a bit less expensive will do. Back in the mid 1970s a buddy and I both had Kmart 10x50s made in Japan. Doubt they cost more than $50 back then and we both used them for decades, mostly while varmint hunting and lots of preseason deer glassing. We were younger then and had better eyes. so we got by with the cheap glass. Anyone that has spent all day glassing for woodchucks, learns to appreciate decent binos.

Years later and with a much better income, he started buying much better glass. One summer we were looking about and he handed me his new B&L 10x50a. Pretty good binos for the time, but I noted they weren't 15 times better than my old Kmarts, as the price suggested.

By the 90s he'd moved onto Zeiss binos and I had a pair of Nikon Monarchs, both 10x50s. I had the same comment after looking thru his Zeiss binos, that I'd had years before with the B&Ls: Good, but not 15 times "gooder". Got a pair of 8x30 Yosemites years ago for Christmas. They are what I have with me from turkey, archery deer and rifle deer seasons. Right now it's flintlock season here in PA, so they're still in use. Love 'em to death. Light, bright and handy. Can't ask much else from a small pair of bines that cost less than $100?

Like to add that I have a Konus 80mm spotting scope. For the money, I think it doesn't give up much to the Kowas that cost far more than it did. Neither do most of those that have looked thru it, unless they have a Kowa? Then it's not even close. ;O)

Last edited by dubePA; 12/29/18.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.