There were several inferences that were directed at me that I feel were wrong:
1) I have no experience with looking through mid tier non Alpha Binoculars. I have had about 10 years of experience working with customers to get them the best binoculars that they can afford. That means I sell and recommend to customers many, many, many more Vortex Diamondbacks than Swarovski EL Fieldpros. I use a whole plethora of tests and methods to find the best binocular for each specific client. This is using index points on our binocular testing cart, the 26 meter dollar test, investigation of CA using a high powered flashlight, looking at imperfections of the glass by looking through the objectives, taking the client outside to look at nearby and distant index points in different light and weather conditions and more. Vortex Diamondbacks, Burris Signature HDs or Nikon Monarch 3s are really a very good starting point for many people looking at binoculars with a budget. However, at this price point binoculars are much more individuals and there are good ones and bad ones. Top glass like Swarovski ELs have very little variability in the manufacture and while each pair should be carefully examined they generally have few flaws or imperfections

2) Zeiss Terra EDs are not Alpha binoculars. Zeiss Terra HDs use German optical components but they do not compare to the German made Conquest HD, HT or SF binoculars. They perform about like Diamondbacks.

3) Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski will take a great deal of attention if something is not right with a brand new binocular. but other companies like Nikon or Vortex will tell us just to give the customer another pair of binoculars from our inventory. They will not go into great detail asking us what was the serial number and problems with the binocular. A lot of people will dump on Leica but you just have to talk to the right person in customer service and they will handle issues promptly and effectively.

4) You do notice the difference of the very best flagship binoculars when you are spotting animals at a great distance. Most binoculars can give you a decent idea of game animals when you are 500 to 1200 yards. But flagship alphas that are used right operate at a different level in identifying game like bears, goats and sheep from great distances 1 mile to 5 miles away. Alpha spotters are more important than Alpha binoculars but I would argue that you use your binoculars more.

5) Most assistant guides and packers that work in Alaska are not from Alaska do not have the financial capital to buy flagship binoculars. They are generally good at what they do but I would not count on the quality of an assistant guides gear on a hunt that you pay much money for. We offer a significant outfitter discount and outfitters come in and buy their assistant guides binoculars that are to be used in bulk. We see many of these same binoculars in for repairs or returned for higher quality binoculars.

6)There are fanboys and fangirls for each brand. Nobody who really gets into optics should assume that a binocular made by a particular brand is better than another binocular of another brand no matter what the brand. Your experience with binoculars is an individual thing. Some people are blessed with a resting pulse rate of under 50, extremely good eyes and great health and are able to use less expensive binoculars better than somebody with eye problems, less optimal health and a caffeine addiction. Your health makes a difference in how well you can spot animals. Its another reason to go to the gym, get your eyes checked and to practice binocular use like you do with shooting your hunting rifle and its small caliber companion. Not everything in optics is necessary a rule but more a series of guidelines. I apologize if I seem to be pedantic. I am not. I appreciate everybody who likes the outdoors and want to help them enjoy the outdoors.

7)This has been a very good thread but another thing that might be lost on folks is that if you live in the hinterlands you might have to buy up because its a terrible pain to return anything up here or out where you live. You try to buy the best and most dependable optics that you can. This is why the old 10X40 Zeiss Roof Prisms with rubber coatings and the gold ring Leupold Binoculars( that Leupold has said are too expensive for them to produce in the present )are so highly praised. They were very good and very dependable. Really good fitted boots are the most important gear item that you can have but optics are a close second.

Last edited by kaboku68; 12/05/18.