Originally Posted by Prwlr
Thanks JB.
As someone without deep pockets, I really appreciate articles like this that allow me to maximize what I can afford within my budget. Several years ago I purchased 10x50 binos which you recommended and have not been disappointed.

Originally Posted by TxHunter80
However, I have noticed that the guides often don't have "alpha" glass and still have no problem finding game.

Much of finding game has to do with training and experience in glassing in that particular environment. Knowing exactly what you are looking for and what looks out of place and what doesn't.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
A Corvette's the same as a Corolla when you're both stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

FC

Yep, except for the oooh's and aaah's. grin

Im not going to say that all guides use one of the three "alpha" brands, but I personally dont know any that dont. Even most of the TV show hosts use one of the big three. They might be sponsored by a lesser brand, but the good stuff comes out when the cameras are off. I have great respect for John B. but I disagree with him on this one. Good glass is the most important piece of gear a hunter owns, and since most big game animals are more active early and late, in my mind its worth it to spend a few extra bucks to get glass thats superior in low light conditions. The alpha brands are all far superior in these conditions than anything else, and Swaros are at the top of the heap in that regard. There are far better ways to cut costs in hunting gear imo.