Originally Posted by Windfall
My son got about a golf ball size exit and short blood trail from a 150 grain SST from his .308 this last season with a lung liver shot. I used an older version SST 139 grain from my 7mm-08 on my last deer and it dropped at the shot from a quartering to shot from a tree stand that probably got his spine. No exit on that one which will have me shooting up those old ones and getting the newer stronger constructed ones. I haven't had many down right there deer and I'm a little put off about watching an animal writhe around on the ground in front of me in its death throws instead of it going down 50 yards away and out of sight. Contrast that to a previous buck that took the 140 grain TSX Barnes that ran away and hid after leaving 5 drops of blood and I don't like that either.

I'm not sure anyone is ecstatic about this part of hunting but it's all apart of it. Let's face it, a deer Down RT, shot through lungs/heart only lives a few seconds. I hope my death, when ever that is only takes that long...

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"