Originally Posted by smokepole
So, if the deer was not recovered, how do you know what the bullet did or didn't do?

Two people saw the hit low on the shoulder. One can see a hit at close range. Should have broken bones. Found hair at the spot, no blood. We spent half a day looking for other sign and never found it. Only explanation we can think of. Either that or it penciled through both shoulders and the deer ran off and never bled. Never saw one run off far after a good shoulder hit like that. Hard to run with broken shoulders. Maybe there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. With a hit like that any bullet that stayed together should have put the deer down within a reasonable distance.

By the way, we have seen this before when a bullet has blown up on the surface and the deer was killed by another shooter. Found nothing but hair then, too. That time it was a Leverevolution out of a 45-70, right after that bullet came out.

Last edited by Gladesman; 01/11/19.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.