Originally Posted by szihn
[Linked Image]PA110001 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
There are 170 grain SSTs in 8MM.

The 2 expanded bullets were recovered from a bull elk. 1st shot was about 165 yards and the 2nd shot was at about 190 or 200. Neither bullet went as deep as I like for elk hunting. In fact that is why I fired 2 rounds. The 2nd one didn't come apart and went about 22" deep. The 1st one shed it's core and went about 14 inches deep. The elk was still going after the first one hit and the lack of penetration left him able to go on, until I hit him the 2nd time. I have a split bullet next them so everyone can see the thickness (or thinness) of the jackets.

I have also killed several deer with these bullets and in all the deer but one, I got exits. Great big ones! The one that didn't give me an exit was a very large bodied Mule Deer I shot 2 seasons ago as it was facing me. The bullet hit at the junction of the neck and shoulder and went down the body. I looked but could not find it. Deer dropped dead at the shot. All were with the same load which gives me about 2500 FPS from my short barreled 8X57 Carbine. It has a 19 inch barrel.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

As a deer bullet I can give it high marks for accuracy but "just ok" for bullet performance.

In fact these bullets have given me the best accuracy I have ever had in my rifle, giving ragged hold groups at 100 yards from my rifle.

If fired at higher velocities I am better these would come apart every time.

I love their accuracy, but I have given up on them for hunting anything but varmints, and for practice. I am going back to the 200 grain Nosler Partition and the 180 grain GMX for elk in this rifle. Another bullet I'd like to try on deer is the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip/Hunting. I think it's thicker jacket may be just what's needed for big deer and maybe even elk. If I buy some I'll post my results for accuracy and if I live long enough to get some more elk with this rifle I will post the results too.

No, I am not dying (that I know of), but at 63 years old I don't know how many more elk I will kill, and I have about 7 other rifles I want to use and about 20 other bullets I want to test in them, so I know I am not going to be able to test all I'd like to. But I'll keep doing it until I can't. I no longer hunt in 3-5 states every year, so I will probably only kill elk in Wyoming and maybe in Idaho or Montana now and then, but my days of being able to shoot 10-16 head of game every year seem to be dwindling.

This getting-old-stuff ---- kinda sucks.

Good report Steve, thanks. As you and I are the same age, I can understand your sentiments all too well. Lets stay in the game and do what we can, when we can. Let the pieces fall where they may.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.