Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Mike74
1886 and 71 Winchesters are awesome as long as you keep a gunbearer around.
That's what turns me off about em. I'd much rather carry a 92 or 94 for my hunting. Or a .444 Marlin if I felt the need for something bigger.

They are hard to find, but try a rapid taper lt weight Winchester 1886 in 33 WCF. This was the smokeless half magazine rifle that eventually evolved into the 1936 pre-war Model 71.
The 348 or 348 Ackley in the Model 71 is enough gun for most hunting needs , and will out range both the 444 or 45-70 unless you are carrying a Sharps.

For bear encounters in Alaska, Canada or the lower 48-the 450 Alaskan on the 348 case is a proven bear tonic. It pretty well
out powers other contenders, especially with premium bullets. Like the original early Model 71s, you have to own and carry one to fully appreciate the 450 or the M-71.

I had my 1886 takedown in .33 WCF out shooting over the weekend. It is a heavy rifle! Perhaps the takedowns were not rapid taper barrels? Seemed to be about the same in weight as the 71. That 1955 vintage 71 will be taking a trip to Reagan Nonneman after the first of the year to get converted to .50 Alaskan. I like to be over-gunned when possible (too much Elmer Keith influence!) and this rifle will be the go-to once I've relocated to western Montana...should be good piece of mind against grizz.

Ken