Originally Posted by desertoakie

The 1955 Win 71 I have isn't totally original (recoil pad added), and is only about in 85% condition, so off it goes to get modified to .50 Alaskan. As for the 50/110, if you look at ballistics tables, not much (if any) can be gained by it over the .50 Alaska; and perhaps even a downside as the longer 50/110 case may prevent longer heavier bullets from being used due to being too long an OAL shell. At least that's what I've come to believe.

The 50-110 is more powerful than the 50Ak if you load it to its potential. There's not much published data to allow a proper comparison. You can get 2100-2200 fps from a 500gr pill out of a 50-110. The potential is certainly there if you want that sort of power. If the smith does the conversion properly you can feed bullets with quite wide meplats. When it comes to bullets there's not a lot of suitable jacketed designs, so you really need to cast your own pills. Then you're set. I picked up a couple of moulds from group buys on the Castboolits site.

Truth be told though, an 1886 clone in 45/70 fed the right bullets is a very versatile large calibre levergun cartridge.