Just found this post and it was extremely information packed.
I own a 1954 71 deluxe which I have yet to take to the range, a 1974 Marlin 444S and a 2012 Marlin 444 XLR, both of which have been to the range.
I also have 2 Browning BLRs in 358, one if which has been to the range.
At the end of the day, all of them are fully capable of taking everything on this continent out to a minimum of 200 yards and certainly further.
It really boils down to bullet selection and shot placement.
I doubt I'll ever take the 71 deep into the woods as it is long and heavy compared to the others and my vision limits my shooting to about 100 yards due to either peep or open sights on the 71 though as I understand it, a receiver mounted scope mount was made at one time.
I also own several Savage levers, but nothing larger than the 30 cals.
Between the Marlins and the Brownings, I will choose the Brownings over the Marlins every time.
The Browning actions lend themselves to a higher degree of accuracy IMHO.
I do have a Marlin 308MXLR that is a tack driver though.
I haven't taken the 30-30, 300 Savage, or 303 Savage levers out yet, but my scoped 1935 99 in 250 Savage and scoped 1964 99 in 308 are also tack drivers.
I can easily shoot MOA at 100 yards with a scope and my handloads.
Sorry... Way off topic...
My point is that the only way you'll ever find out which works best for you is to at least try both if you have friends willing to share, or if you can get away with it, buy one of each.
You will never be disappointed with either so long as you do your part.
One can never have too many.
Thank you all for the great information.

Last edited by NYhunter444; 02/15/23.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Give me liberty or give me death.