Not sure how many deer and hogs I've killed with a Remington 742 semi-auto 30/06 with factory Remington 150 Core-Loc bullets. I'm not sure what the FPS was, but it knocked everything around with deadly force. Never lost a deer nor hog... and I've shot them all over the body... but mostly in the front parts...LOL. Blood was never an issue. Big exit holes and easy blood trails to follow, because MOST would run some distance before giving it up. I never really thought twice about finding the critter or not, because that 06 was lethal. I haven't shot it in years, mostly trying other calibers... like most other hunters are doing today. I do have a Savage bolt action that I might load up some rounds for it, but I would like to try a bullet that has more DRT ability.

I probably put it down because I got into long range coyote hunting... and then starting using those longer range calibers for deer as well.

The 06 would always blow out pretty large exit holes, so I guess, most of it's energy was still cooking on the exit side. Now that I reload, I need to rethink a good bullet load for my savage 30/06... something that will produce more DRT kills, since I need them to fall right there, from long range shots on power lines... logging roads... and clear cuts. WHY...??? because it is really TOUGH to locate the spot where it was standing when shot in low light evening conditions... and then have it run off into the woods.... but a whole LOT easier to find it if they are DRT in that open pathway.

You just gotta LOVE the 30/06. It would be my choice if we were limited to only one caliber.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul