I've been called a "booger-eating moron," "trailer trash" and " a gap-toothed inbreed" and on this forum for my previous avowal that I hunted with a Remington 742 in 30-06. I was always amazed at how precise one could predict a man's dentition and mode of living from a rifle choice.

Let me set things straight. First off, I had serious dental work done, and no longer have the gap. Secondly I have never lived in anything resembling a mobile home. All my houses have been brick. As to the inbred part, it is true that KYHillChick and I have mothers with the same last name. We checked and on my side there is only one uncle unaccounted for after the Civil War. He didn't die. He just liked it where he was and stayed. The families did know each other, and various elements fought together at Kings Mountain NC and in the early parts of the Revolution in New Jersey. I'd say that's far enough back to be safe.

I stopped using my 742 in 2004, and replaced it with a 7600 in 35 Whelen. However, my most recent favorite is a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. It has accounted for 8 deer in 5 seasons. Overall, I can say that 42 of the last 70 deer shot from our deer camp have been taken by 30-06.

My appreciation of the 30-06 has never flagged in nearly 40 years, despite all the name calling. Before 2001 I was flinging a 180 grain roundnose load at whitetails out of a treestand. Since then I have switched to a 165 grain Hornady Interlock and could not ask for better performance. Every deer shot with that load has either fallen where they were shot or I could stand in that spot and see the carcass.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer