I have read somewhere that the Savage 99 in 300 Savage was the most popular elk hunting combination in the northwest for many years. If it wasn't effective, it probably wouldn't have been popular. Just another example of "proper projectile, proper placement" being an important component of a successful hunt.

I have a few rifles chambered in 300 Savage, mostly Savage 20/26s, none of which have been carried farther than the range for many years.

I would use a 300 Savage to hunt elk if it was my best or only option, but I have lots of rifle/cartridge combinations that I'd pick ahead of any rifle chambered in 300 Savage.

When I was in graduate school from 1984 thru 1986, I made pocket money buying and trimming the barrels on Remington 722s in 300 Savage and 222 to 20" to produce a sort of ersatz 600/660 carbine. Back then I could buy 722s in 300 Savage for between $75 and $150 anytime I wanted one. There must still be a few of them floating around northern New England just waiting for some unsuspecting buyer to get taken by an unscrupulous seller of these rare non-cataloged 722 carbines.