When I was a young boy the rifle in our home was my dad's 300 savage M99. In fact, it was the only center fire we had. We were mostly deer hunters in those days, but now and then we'd shoot an elk. We also killed a few horses and cattle with it now and then. The old 300 Savage always did just fine. I was too young to pay attention to the loads, but I am betting they were 180 grain bullets. Both myself and my dad liked to shoot the 150 grain loads more then we liked the 180s, because they kicked less and the 150s killed deer fine, but I do remember having a few boxes of the 180s around, because I always looked at the boxes to find the 150s instead for my deer hunting.

When I was 12 I got a 270 and within a few months I got a reloading set up from Herders. As long as I was making ammo for the 270 we thought I may as well get a set of dies for the 300 Savage too. So at 12 years old I was loading ammo for the 270 and the 300 Savage, but none of us, my Dad, my Mom or myself ever killed an elk with the 300 after I got the 270, (None I remember anyway) so I cannot say with any certainty what ammo we shot the few elk with, before I got the reloading press.

But I have killed a few of them with 308 Winchesters. I remember killing 7 elk with 308s, and I may be missing one or two at the time I write this. Getting old makes me forget a few things now and then.
I have seen about 15-20 others killed with 308 Winchesters shot by friends and clients. A 300 Savage and a 308 Winchester are fairly close in their velocities, with the 308 never being over 75 yards ahead of the 300 in striking velocity. With a lot of loads the difference is probably closer to 50 yards of range at any given velocity.
So I am 100% sure the 300 Savage is all the elk cartridge most men would need for probably 98% of all the shots you'd ever need to take when elk hunting.
If the shooter has any skill, and knows anything about how to hunt, a 300 Savage will cover the bases fine.

Last edited by szihn; 02/07/19.