I have a Nosler 150 partition load for just such an opportunity, if it ever comes up. I have 3 rifles in that caliber, My great grandfathers M99, a Rem 81, and a Rem 722. The funny part is I think they were all built in 1948. I use a moderate load with RE15.

Now for the obligatory 300 Savage story: When I was about twelve about mid week in the utah deer hunt I went out with my dad, He had the M99 with him it only had iron sights on it, in the past it had a weaver on stith mounts. I think he was shooting red box federal 150 grain loads. We went to a canyon where deer in the evening would come down some of the side canyons to the river below. Looking through his navy surplus binoculars he made out a small two point across the river and way up the hillside. It looked a long ways away, he said it was about 600 yards. We sit there for a bit, watching to see if the deer come closer. Eventually my dad walks towards the river finds a downed cottonwood and finds a good rest, starts aiming, he does this for two minutes, he tells me to watch with the binoculars and tell him how high or low the shot lands, one deer high or one deer low. First shot, goes low by two deer I call out, deer didn't move. Next shot at his feet. Third shot the deer rolled down the hill. I don't know how he did it, he did have good eyesight, being a navy pilot.

The next year he got a 7mm Mag with a Mcmillan stock and a nice Leupold scope, he never had a shot past 150 yards present itself after that.