Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
It’s winter and I’m looking for a project. I’m considering a couple.

1. Rem 700 Mountain rifle I picked up here in 30-06. Price was great and it turns out it shoots and fits me well. Already have another 30-06 so that niche has been filled and was considering having the mountain rifle rebored to 338-06, little more oomph. For future elk hunts and the occasional bear(Black not brown). JES would do the work.

2. Bergera woodsman in 308, again rebored by JES , to 358 win. Rifle is great, always felt a little chunky so not what I would grab for a long backpack hunt or anything I would take out for long range shooting out west. I used to have a 358 savage 99 but it didn’t fit me and was a punisher to shoot. Would love to have another 358 for a PA deer/bear gun that packs a punch and for something a little different than the norm.

3. Neither, it’s winter and I can’t hunt so I’m looking for something to do. Just go to the gym a few more times a week till spring arrives and I can chase turkey.

What’s your opinion?

1. The mountain rifle - That is a real thin barrel, I have a couple in 280 rem, not much metal left after that barrel contour. Kick would be like shooting heavy 30-06 loads.

2. The Bergera - I would go ahead and do that to either a .358 or a .338 FED. I have both The .358 (rebore M99) is really flexible, most .35 cal bullets work well for it. The .338 Fed (rug hawkeye) works well with lighter bullets 180 and 200 bullets mainly, and does have better ballistics past 300 yards.