Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
It’s winter and I’m looking for a project. I’m considering a couple.

1. Rem 700 Mountain rifle I picked up here in 30-06. Price was great and it turns out it shoots and fits me well. Already have another 30-06 so that niche has been filled and was considering having the mountain rifle rebored to 338-06, little more oomph. For future elk hunts and the occasional bear(Black not brown). JES would do the work.

I don't own a 700 Mtn rifle but the web seems to think it's a .550" OD at the muzzle, so you can likely forget .358" and above as Jess has said he doesn't want to do anything < .100" wall thickness.

Talked to him yesterday and he related pretty much what you said. I will be going 338-06 on the mountain rifle if I end up using that gun as a donor. Not sure which way I want to go yet. Truth is I mostly just hunt deer and bear, elk only very occasionally. 30-06 will get it done on all 3, 338-06 just adds some extra oomph. There have been many times with a 308 I thought it was more than enough for whitetail, 358 was a hammer the times I used it. First world problems.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi