The Texas Rangers are trusted in Texas...except by some other cops, I figure from jealously.They are invited to investigate a lot of allegations of wrongdoing by local Police Departments. They turn down many requests and when they do agree to investigate particular incidents, they generally use the local Department’s Policy Manual as the rule book. Most accusations of excessive force wind up being dismissed because the Plicy Manual leaves so much up to the discretion of the individual cop.So...unless there is someone killed, they usually refuse the invitation.

Its doubtful they have the manpower to conduct an investigation of even just the Narcotics Division of the HPD, much less the whole Department. There are almost as many Narcotics Officers in HPD as there are Rangers. Rangers most often come through the ranks of Tx DPS, not local PDs.

I’d be satisfied with the FBI investigating this as a Civil Rights violation and I expect it would satisfy most Texans. The HPD Chief is from California so an out of state Agency would not set well at all with most folks.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place