Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by JOG
For me the fit of the grip dictates the magazine capacity. A Shield-sized pistol is about as small as I'll go just on the basis of 'shootability'. Magazine capacity is a few checkboxes down the list, but more is better so I'm not fighting it either. The M&P M2.0 Compact checked enough boxes that I'm carrying 15+1 for the first time in years.

I'd be interested in your 'list if you're willing to post it.

Sure, as long as I can change the list on a whim. wink

- Ergonomics. The pistol has to point naturally and feel comfortable. This is why Browning Hi-Powers, 1911's and K-frames always start at the top off my list. With Ergonomics at the top of the list, and only pistols above a certain size are ergonomic, about any pistol I choose is going to be at least 7+1 by default. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I don't give magazine capacity a lot of thought.

- Weight. Nowadays the heaviest I prefer is 28-ounces. That puts a Lightweight Commander at the top end and is why I usually don't CC the above handguns, but they still dominate the numbers in my safe and at the range.

- Trigger. I don't have a definite striker/hammer or DA/DAO preference in a carry pistol, but the trigger pull can't be a hindrance. A crappy trigger can often be fixed, but that adds money and hassle.

- Cartridge. Suitable for the task.

- Pixie Dust. The four items above and a measure of pixie dust combine to make 'shootability'. There's a wide range of course, and with pistols such as the P365 the range gets wider all the time.

- Magazine Capacity. The trend is we can have our cake and eat it too. I'll eat the cake.

- Manual Safety. Preferred. Two otherwise identical pistols and I'll usually pick the MS. There are exceptions (Shield, WTF).

There is a slurry of small factors. I have some brand loyalty (S&W, Colt), I prefer Novak sights, dark finishes for carry and stainless for the ease of maintenance on range guns. Otherwise, this is the end of today's list and it hasn't changed yet...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost