Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by JOG
For me the fit of the grip dictates the magazine capacity. A Shield-sized pistol is about as small as I'll go just on the basis of 'shootability'. Magazine capacity is a few checkboxes down the list, but more is better so I'm not fighting it either. The M&P M2.0 Compact checked enough boxes that I'm carrying 15+1 for the first time in years.

I'd be interested in your 'list if you're willing to post it.

Sure, as long as I can change the list on a whim. wink

- Ergonomics. The pistol has to point naturally and feel comfortable. This is why Browning Hi-Powers, 1911's and K-frames always start at the top off my list. With Ergonomics at the top of the list, and only pistols above a certain size are ergonomic, about any pistol I choose is going to be at least 7+1 by default. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I don't give magazine capacity a lot of thought.

- Weight. Nowadays the heaviest I prefer is 28-ounces. That puts a Lightweight Commander at the top end and is why I usually don't CC the above handguns, but they still dominate the numbers in my safe and at the range.

- Trigger. I don't have a definite striker/hammer or DA/DAO preference in a carry pistol, but the trigger pull can't be a hindrance. A crappy trigger can often be fixed, but that adds money and hassle.

- Cartridge. Suitable for the task.

- Pixie Dust. The four items above and a measure of pixie dust combine to make 'shootability'. There's a wide range of course, and with pistols such as the P365 the range gets wider all the time.

- Magazine Capacity. The trend is we can have our cake and eat it too. I'll eat the cake.

- Manual Safety. Preferred. Two otherwise identical pistols and I'll usually pick the MS. There are exceptions (Shield, WTF).

Hey - that's almost exactly my list. Except I put trigger above weight. It's a personal thing.

Yeah, Blue -
old-man-this-is-the-way-i've-always-done-it logic
. I resemble that remark, but won;t criticize anyone for carrying hi-cap.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.