KnightHawk,

One of my favorite "collecting" stories came from the late Jim Bashline, the well-known outdoor writer (or at least he was a few decades ago). Jim collected several kinds of rifles, as I found out when visiting him and his wife Sylvia (another writer, for years the game-cooking writers for Field & Stream) over 30 years ago at their home on the outskirts of State College, Pennsylvania.

Jim had a collection of every model/chambering variation of Ruger No. 1 made up to that time, but he also had a few very nice old Winchester lever-actions. He said he used to have more, and in fact collected them so avidly back that while on a trip one time, he phoned Sylvia to to telegraph him enough money for a bus ticket home. He'd traded the family car for four Winchester lever-actions, as I recall all 1886's in good condition. They later sold them and paid for their kid's college education....

Dunno what happened to the No. 1's after Jim passed away, way too young, at 63, but suspect they were part of Sylvia's retirement.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck