Wow, what a great thread! And so much to comment on.

Someone wrote a comment on a thread here that I swore I was going to steal for a signature line. It was something like "There are an awful lot of people lately compelled to feed their inner sniper only take an 88 yard shot across a big patch of clover." The original author may have said it with a bit better turn of phrase, but I got close. I love that line.

Long range shooting with the new stuff is fun and any trigger time is good. But people should remember that shots at un-wounded game should be shots that you realistically expect to make. I don't know what the percentage number should be, but at least 95%? Maybe more. Interestingly, a military sniper can often "ethically" take shots we shouldn't take at game. It is "OK" if the sniper only wounds or hits with "insufficent" downrange energy.

It is true that many things: guns, cars, audio gear, to name a few, experience a sort of value curve. It can be explained exactly as some others have mentioned. Values are highest when people get old enough to afford the things they always wanted but could not afford when they were younger. The values drop as these people get older and begin to die. There will always be some market, as there will always be some younger people coming up that appreciate whatever the objects are, but the market undoubtedly softens. I have some guns and at least one car (I am the original owner) that I will very probably doggedly hang onto far too long.

I am old enough now, 65, that I see things I used to consider for "everyday use" become "too valuable" for that. Model 61 and 9422 Winchesters come to mind. I used to use each as my "go to" .22, first the 61 that got too valuable, so the 9422 replaced it. Then guess what happened? I use a Ruger 10/22 for the purpose now. I think I finally hit one I can continue to "safely" use everyday. Truth is, neither of the Winchesters worked well with a scope. But now I wish I hadn't installed those QD swivel bases that made so much sense when they were my everyday rifles . . .

With guns, I am pretty darn "equal opportunity" and keep a foot in both camps. I have "tools" and I have nice things I appreciate more. If you carry concealed, you don't need a $1000 tricked out pistol to be well armed. But I will always have a nice enough 1911 or two, and good but old revolvers are very cool. I hate dinging up nice guns. So I hunt better with a stainless and glass rifle when I can pay attention to the hunting and not every little thing that might ding the gun. But on "easy" days, the vintage blue and wood comes forth. I think there is a reason you see so many nice shotguns on "gentlemanly, refine" quail hunts, but not so many in the duck blind or layout pits in goose fields!

Again, great thread. And loggah, that '94 is SWEET!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"