Mule Deer,
Yeah the ones that got away. I also collected High Walls, sporting rifles and a couple Schuetzen style rifles, Four rifles come to mind that go beyond the old "what was I thinking" when I sold them, into the "that was stupid and you can't fix that".
One was a standard rifle with a #3 octagon barrel in 50 express. This rifle was unfired and in new condition.
Next was another standard rifle with the exception of a #4 barrel in 22 LR. It's only distinction was, other than the barrel was it was documented as being used in the Winchester ammunition department for testing.
Third was another standard rifle in in 38-55 with a #2 round barrel and an octagon frame, brown rifle.
4th was a standard rifle in 40-90 Sharps Straight.
These 1885's were just pretty much standard rifles, but, very unique. I had 1885 deluxe pistol grip Sporting rifles with Swiss butt plate and so on.
Two others, as I said I was into take-downs, one was a Model 53 pistol grip deluxe take-down rifle in 44-40 which came with a Winchester sling and hook swivels, and packaged in a Winchester take-down soft leather case. All in used but great shape.
And the 2nd of these was one I never owned but should have. I was at a Gun Show in Vegas at the Sahara back in the late 80's and was amazed at the early Winchesters. 66's, Volcanic's, 73's, well you get the idea. But my focus was take-down rifles. To easy to get distracted. Came across one old bird that had a table with 4 or 5 nice early Winchesters, but, one just jumped out at me instantly. He had a 1886 deluxe straight stock, looked like triple A wood checkered in 45-90 take-down. First off I just happened to be passing through and was unaware that there was a gun show. Also it was a time in my like where I had change in my pocket and not much to fold. Not only that but, this was a high dollar show, and was feeling kind of, say, shy. The rifle was priced fairly at $1,300, it had seen a fair amount of use, but not abuse. Frankly a beautiful rifle. Well I had to pass on the rifle due to NSF. But I came back the last day of the show and went back and found the rifle was gone. In talking to the Gentlemen I expressed my disappointment. Before I came back I had managed to get some cash 4 or 5 hundred, but, that was it. Anyway the Gentlemen got instantly agitated saying how he would have sold it to me with a down payment and pay the balance later, rather then sell it to the azz that did buy it. Said the guy was just a re-seller/broker anyway, besides he stated he did not like the guy on general principles. Oh well, the one that got away, that shouldn't have.