Originally Posted by Quak
I shot a buck last fall with a 150gr .277 game king at about 3000 fps from a .270 WCF and the bullet exploded. Shot was 50 yards or so. Deer dropped dead but you could have put a truck tire through the exit wound. It was literally bigger than a basket ball. Total bullet failure. Ive used Hornandy interlocks in the past with the same velocity and have never had one do that.

I really like the way the Sierra bullets shoot but I won't hunt with them any more. Better options available...and for less money in some cases.

It seems like conventional wisdom has been to keep the velocity with cup and cores something less than 2800 fps give or take. Your bullet would have been doing about 2900 fps at impact. Did it hit bone too? As for Hornady vs Sierra, I don't know that you can make a blanket statement about all Interlocks vs all Sierras, as sometimes there are differences with specific bullets. Case in point, BC30cal had a bad experience with the Hornady 220 gr (and he wasn't pushing it too fast either), while others attest to the Sierra 220 gr as well regarded ( Experience with 220 grain Sierra round nose or 220 grain Federal factory ammo? , 220 Grain .30-06 Loads (John Barsness weighs in on the 2nd thread link).