I decided to see just what results I might get in my Custom Mauser with Re17 and the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core. Thought it might be a nice load for a cow elk hunt.

First I had to find a source of data as none of my manuals have much on Re17. I sent Speer an E-mail and they came though giving me a place to start. Then, using a set of data from a Quickload search a friend did for me giving me an idea of when I should quit. I got to the ranges yesterday and ran 12 loads from start to where I thought it would be a good idea to quit. I couldn't use my chronograph because it was acting up with weird readings. Load #10 was where I felt it was time to quit as bolt lift on load #11 was quite stiff.

This rifle usually shoot MOA or better with factory ammo so the disaster this groups of test loads surprised me. Best group was three inches. Worst was close to six inches. WTF?

I was out in my shed early this morning checking screw tightness, the muzzle's crown, you know, all the usual suspects and everything checked out good. I would have gone out today but it was a bit windy than what I care to shoot in so just worked on the brass and cleaned the gun. Gonna be windy the next few days so I'll probably just load another test series with the bullets seated a bit deeper. I had this batch just off the rifling.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE