I addressed a fellow on another forum about him really hitting on the natives for their hunting with no season or no hunting laws for them to obey or enforcement of them. I have not lived in Alaska for several years and virtually no time in the villages. I don't agree with all he is saying, but some may be true.
His note below:

Butch,
In support of my earlier comments. I have spent 30+ years working in the many villages and towns across the state of Alaska.
Lived and worked in Bethel for almost a year, Kotz for over 2 years, Barrow over a year, etc, etc. Building everything in 20 different villages and towns and I can honestly say that about 50% to 60% showed obvious evidence of wanton waste.

I have always looked upon our historical treatment of the Indians as a shameful chapter and I have made many friends among the Natives and had many amazing times in these places.

You're friend "who has seen it all", apparently wasn't paying attention.

Most of these villages were staffed by a PSO(village state trooper) and there was a notable lack of interest in reigning in these excesses.

Not everyone was doing this, but I did not imagine the rotting Caribou, Seals, Polar bears, and Fish in these villages.

Respectfully,
Les