my thought on the perfect whitetail combo rifle is or might be different than someone in Texas , since i hunt near the Canadian border and only for older whitetail bucks. these older bucks live weight are around 225 lbs. - 325 lbs. ,so myself i prefer a larger cartridge so i am able to most of the time knock that buck down hard and fast. where i hunt on my land in a tamarac swamp i have cut and maintain shooting lanes out to 300 yards ,lanes are 20 feet wide so i don`t have alot of time for more than one shot. i like a Ruger #1 because its shorter because it does not have a reciever so it swings up and out my enclosed stand faster. the reason for a enclosed stand its quieter,no scent outside of enclosed stand ,as long as you keep windows shut tel you make the shot,its warmer and dryer too,my movement isn`t seen either. so for me a rifle that is accurate,shoots that one shot fast and has plenty power is a Ruger #1 in a 257 Weatherby Mag. with a Nightforce scope,i use this same rifle out west with a bi-pod then ,my son has one too. >believe me this grand old cartridge the 257 Weatherby Mag. is still a great buck slayer shoots a long ways out fast and hard. good luck this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman