Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Thanks for the pics and short review SAS, These are obviously nicer than the standard SPS type rifles offered, as are the Gen 2 5R and other “high end” 700 models.

I don’t get why some of you are crapping on them preemptively, especially when you’re not even discussing the correct model...SAS is telling you they’re nice and this one obviously shoots pretty well.

I wonder what small dealer wholesale price is for them? Big dealer wholesale must be pretty low if they are showing up on GB with starting bids at about 2/3 of what Darrik is asking.

I'm skeptical of production rifles that claim custom rifle specs and are being offered for less than the price of a true custom action. Colt couldn't do it with the CLR when they bought ULA from Mel Forbes and Remington has a well documented history of introducing and then dropping some of their better configurations.

That said, Darrik is a great guy and I believe that he is as honest and sincere a person who posts on this site. He has demonstrated that he is a friend to people who participate on this site by going out of his way to order small lots of rifles in specs that rifle loonies like us call for, the RARs in 22-250 with a 1-8" ROT barrel come to mind and I'm sure that there are other examples of his looking out for us. Who but Darrik would contract with Ruger to make a small run of RARs in 17HM2 when there are probably only a couple thousand fans in the entire U.S.A.?

If only he had some influence with CCI/Hornady to make Eley-grade 17HM2 ammo, then the 17HM2 clan would think that they'd died and gone to squirrel shooting Heaven.

I’m not sure on dealer price, but I had been watching these on G.B. for a couple weeks prior to Darrik posting about them here. Most are listed at full MSRP, cheapest ones seem to be selling close to a grand. I bid $750 on one and it ended up selling for about $900

If anyone here wants one, or if I pulled the trigger on one, might as well just buy it from Whittaker’s.

I’m with you on the appreciation for Darrik and Whittaker’s, good people in all my dealings with them

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 06/16/19.