I'll never forget when we were changing over to metric in Canada. I was driving along a road and there was sewer work going on. They had signs out about reducing your speed, watching for workers, etc. One sign read, "Speed limit 40 km/h for the next 3 miles." crazy

And there were those silly stickers that you could buy at most stores. They had 10 stickers (10, 20, 30 etc. to 100) that you put on the dash to show where the km/h speeds were in relation to the mph nos. The back of the pkg had a picture of an mph speedometer with km/h stickers in the proper spots.

And all the news stories of police ticketing "speeders". People who saw the new metric signs - Maximum Speed 80 km/h, for example - but drove 80 mph because they didn't get the memo. The funny thing was, the new metric signs were bolted above or below the older mph ones.

For our US listeners, we had a year long ad campaign the year prior to metrification, explaining what the new signs would look like, an explanation of the km/h speeds and how they related to mph, etc. Television, magazines, radios, billboards, mailings, and more. Despite the amount of time and ad blitz, thousands of people across the country weren't listening. laugh The government coffers swelled with "metric money", most of it from speeders.
---

WRT the metric vs SAE discussion everyone is enjoying - newsflash - metric is taking over. For North America, you're about 50 years too late. It's already 80 to 90% done. It happened, not by decree, but by gradually introducing it into the US. Machinists, manufacturers, contractors and others have to use metric in order to get contracts and sales outside the US. And as has already been pointed out, pop the hood on your car or truck.

You can run, but you cannot hide! laugh

We heard the "Damn it! I'm not gonna change, and they cannot make me!" people years ago. Nothing new here. You can beat your chest and scream, "I'll die before I change!"

We'll reply with,"Why yes...yes you will." laugh

Just remember, sympathy is found between schitt and syphilis in the dictionary. smile

From 1975. 14.4 cents a litre was 65 cents a gallon (imperial) or about 54.5 cents per US gallon.

[Linked Image]

P.S. Here is my rifle list.

5.6×15mmR
5.56×35mmR
5.56x43mm
5.56x45mm
5.56x49mm

6x45mm
6x52mm

7.62x39mm
7.62x51mmR
7.62x56R
7.62×63mm

7.62x54R
7.92×57mm
7.95x55R
7.95×56mmR

9×33mmR
9x41mmR

10.9x29mmR
10.9×33mmR
10.9x57mmR

11.4x53R
---

When they stickered over MPH. Circa 1977.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]