Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by rickt300

Ask anyone using advanced math in engineering which is still generally dominated by the inch

I did two years of it, and it had about as much to do with inches (or for that matter, metres) as duck feathers have to do with philosophy.

Originally Posted by rickt300
as is reloading.

57.5 grains of IMR 4350 equals 3.725 grams. Now having never seen a reloading scale in grams though I believe they exist which would you rather measure out on a beam balance scale? I admit the electronic scales would solve any issues but still you are looking at 4 numbers and a decimal point instead of three.

The fourth significant figure on your measurement in grams would mean that it is theoretically to a greater degree of precision. However, the typical beam balance is not actually capable of that level of precision, so it is rather spurious. Render it as 3.73 g and you are within a margin less than the resolution of a typical reloader's scale of your 57.5 gn. FWIW I throw all of my charges anyway, and use a metric measurement. It works.

In my experience "thrown" measurements are acceptable at + or - 3 tenths of a grain. A good beam scale is certainly capable of better than that especially with stick propellants like any of the 4350's. I also use thrown/dipped charges with powders like IMR 4227 or BLC-2 but not 3031, 4350 or Reloader 22 type powders. The fourth figure is there virtually on all measurements with metric other than the exactly even ones. It occurs to me that I have seen metric data in the LEE Manual describing the use of their dippers. I dump the dipper into a scale and measure it out from there if I need precision.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]