I have used mostly fixed power for hunting for most of my hunting life, but right now I have 3 variables and 1 fixed power scope on my rifles.
My philosophy these days is to equip my rifles to be enjoyable in the conditions that I use them the most. So even though I do a lot of back pack style hunting(big game), I do very little shooting while I’m hunting. Probably 99+% of my shooting is done at the range. So I want my rifles to reflect that because I have a lot of fun shooting.
In my hunting situations, I could get most of the shots easily done with a 4x or 6x set and forget scope. I want my rifles light enough for carrying, but at the range is where the bulk of the shooting happens so I want gizmos and features.
I’ve settled on NF NXS compacts because they have features that work properly for having fun at the range without being too heavy or bulky, and also work great for the relatively few shots I take at animals. I think there is no down side to having a feature rich scope like this for hunting, but there is a very big upside for having fun at the range.

Last edited by mod7rem; 07/03/19.