Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bcp
A person needs to decide if he wants a sight or an optical entertainment center.

Bruce

Well..... TRY to find a 3 rd point on one side of this 6 pt, 178 lb. buck with 17 1/2" INSIDE spread WITH a fixed 4 or 6 power AT 300 PLUS yds.

[Linked Image]

I did after a few minutes at 12 X .

S M H

Jerry

I hear you, it was the same in East, Texas. I think more people out West use Binoculars than any other. Since whitetails can be patterned, people use blinds/towers, tree stands. I "tried" to use binocs in the South ( I do now as I am more used to them and even then sparingly) but the deer were so fleeting, the openings small (no big fields where we hunted), by the time you saw it was legal, picked up the rifle and tried to get a shot, he was gone! So, the "2nd" buck I even shot with a scoped rifle was (a) my longest at 276 long steps down a pipeline (b) I couldn't tell what sex it was until I cranked my scope up to 9x ( he was feeding across the ROW pretty fast, literally "just grabbing a bite" ha) the instant I saw horns, I touched it off. I had trained myself to get used to the scope hunting squirrels with it on my .22 same way. I'd keep it on 3-4x and if they were higher up a big pine, crank it up to 9x and "snipe him". What a hoot, it still is. So, for me, I have always done the same thing, if I "have time", I crank it up. If I don't he either gets shot (or at) with the lower power or passed. Entertainment, sure, but never, ever "scope out" another human. Ever. So, no, it does not take the place/use of binocs, but a binocular is no more a gunsight than a scope is a binocular. Right?

Yep, once a deer is spotted where I hunt you better be in the scope and ready to shoot as soon as you know it’s a legal buck or the opportunity is lost.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first