Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't know of any 200gr factory load for .357, but if there isn't one, there ought to be. I haven't killed any large animal with the .357, and I can't attest to the performance of any expanding 180g load. But I can tell you that the hard cast 180gr from Buffalo Bore from a 4" Security Six clocks a little south of the advertised 1400fps, and is pretty unpleasant to shoot.

The shooter who can make fast and accurate follow up shots with that load in a 4" medium frame revolver has my deepest respect. In a large frame, it might be more practical, but I don't have one around here to try.

I have a a Combat Magnum S&W, wouldn’t want to shoot that kinda ammo in my gun, hard on the gun and the shooter.

170 Gold Dots do very well in my FA 97. I did have to get a taller front sight. FA folks were very helpful, knew exactly the height I needed. It would work well with hard cast 170’s or 180’s. Those are about as heavy as I would want in a .357.

For heavier, I’d go with a .45. My line bored, three screw SBH .45 Colt loves Penn Bullets 270 Thunderhead. Google them. A real thumper, big meplat.

DF