Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by MOGC
Because only a single action is an effective bear gun?

Not at all. I suggest returning to the original post and re-reading. He states that his GF does not want to shoot a single action. The simple fact is for many people .. not everyone, but many people .. a single action manages recoil a lot better than a double action so the choices are to shoot a very abusive double action or a fairly soft shooting single action ... chambered for the same cartridge or one even more powerful. I good example from my own meager collection is my .357 DA revolver vs my single action .44 revolver. The .357 is vastly, vastly more abusive to shoot yet much less "potent" on critters.

Sometimes a person needs to step back, look at the desired result, and figure out the most effective way to get there. Y' can't always have both the destination you want AND the route you want to take. One doesn't lead to the other. As described by the OP, I think his girlfriend has put herself in that position.

Tom

DA with less power for faster follow-up shots vs SA with more power and much slower follow-up shots. The age-old question......

And I don't have a definitive answer.

But I'd go with what she shoots best. I will say that the felt recoil issue with DA is quite often not dealt with properly. Few people really search out the best grip shape for them, and ironically, the potential variety of shapes is one of the biggest advantages of a DA revolver. With a proper hand-fitting grip, a DA can be quite comfortable with fairly heavy loads.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.