Polaris uses the CVT transmission. I have it on my '12. It's been solid but I'm not crazy about how it works. Supposedly the newer ones have engine braking. On the older ones, EBS is an add on. It will brake very well until you get down to a certain speed, then it drops out of gear and you need to use the brakes. You can often give it a bit of gas to speed up the engine and it will re-engage. It's tricky to learn to use it well. Adding the EBS will keep it in gear to a much lower speed and would be a huge help. Some of the newer models have EBS from the factory and I recommend it if it's an option.

The 4 wheel drive is another thing. When the 4x switch is on, you're still in RWD until a wheel slips. Then the front engages and stays engaged. You usually don't know if you're in 2x or 4x. It's a very smooth shift, though, and I've never had a problem through mud or snow. In the 3 years I've had it, I've never got stuck. It's always just pulled me through. Supposedly, the newer models have been changed to engage the front axle faster.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.