It is impossible to predict a future situation and the appropriate response. If using the El Paso example the variables will affect your choices. If you are w/ loved ones you must 1st protect them, escape if possible, kill the threat if escape is not an option. If you don't train seriously to respond effectively you will probably fail.

Unless you are a fool that believes that it can't happen to me you can prepare yourself to have choices. Choice#1`Commit to training until you have proven yourself effective. Choice#2 Admit that you are willing to let yourself and your loved ones be victims and pray for mercy.

Ancient platitudes such as fighting to your rifle ignores the fact that the threat situation creates the choices available to you. I always have a Glock 19 and an extra mag on my person. I don't like leaving my AR unattended in my car, ergo I devote the vast majority of my training effort to problem solving with the Glock.

Planning to succeed is essential. Then work the plan to failure and improve as necessary, you are never "good enough"

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC